Parent Effectiveness Training (PET)
Parent Effectiveness Training (or PET) is a proven program for raising responsible children devised by three-times Nobel Peace Prize nominee, Dr Thomas Gordon.
PET is a specially designed course for families to learn a time-tested model of communication that offers skills that enhance relationships with children and other important people in their lives.
“PET teaches skills and supports families in building more peaceful and loving relationships.”
Tamra McFarlane, Oceanside Physio Practice Owner & Physiotherapist, conducts PET courses in which you, as a parent or caregiver, can learn the skills to more effectively communicate, resolve conflicts so nobody loses and create loving relationships with your children, validated by current neuro-science.
PET enables parents to:
- Create warmer more satisfying relationships
- Help children solve their own problems
- Resolve parent/child conflicts more easily
- Comfortably express their own concerns and the unmet needs related to their child’s
PET also helps to:
- Bring families closer together
- Work with children of all ages from the very young to the adolescent years and older
- Teach skills that are useful in all other relationships: spouse to spouse, partners, teacher to student, workplace, co-worker, and supervisor to subordinate
- Provide valuable training for any person who works with young people.
- Add a dynamic edge to all communication interactions.
PET addresses some of the many problems that families may be facing such as:
- Children not talking openly to their parents
- Family conflict
- The use of punishment triggers feelings of guilt for parent/s and children react resentfully
- The day-to-day demands that often cause parents to feel, overwhelmed, overloaded or over-tired
- Hassles over issues like obeying rules and bedtimes, doing chores, and what TV & TV programs are watched
- Children resisting their parents’ ideas and values
- When tantrums, scenes, battles-of-wills, flare-ups are frequent
- Arguments over getting to school on time, homework or achievement levels.
Parents undertaking PET find they benefit from the training in many ways including:
- Having less stress and anxiety
- Being better able to deal with anger and strong emotions
- Having increased self-confidence and assertiveness
- Learning listening skills
- Having an increased self-understanding.
Families also benefit by having:
- Better two-way communication
- More family harmony
- Successfully established discipline protocols
- Children who become self-disciplined, more responsible and solve their own problems
- Warmer feelings and closer relationships
- Children who are more self-reliant, resilient, independent and self-motivated
- Children who are more open to their parents’ ideas
- More fun in the family!
DETAILS OF THE COURSES
This 24-hour course will be conducted over eight three-hour sessions. It will be a small class conducted in a friendly and relaxed environment. Individual coaching sessions are also available.
Session topics include:
Session 1 – Parents want to get their needs met too. The challenge of trying to be consistent, present a united front and be forever tolerant.
Session 2 – How to listen so children will share their problems with you. ‘Active listening’ or listening with empathy – a new way to really hear and understand.
Session 3 – Putting your new listening skills to work – coaching and practice.
Session 4 – How to talk so children will respect your needs – effective communication of your needs that really works.
Session 5 – Other ways to prevent and influence change in unacceptable behavior – strategies for modifying the environment and reducing conflict.
Session 6 – The inevitable conflicts. Who will win? How to gain cooperation and avoid the power struggles.
Session 7 – The no-lose method. How it develops resilience in kids and reduces rebellion or resentment.
Session 8 – Resolving value collisions with children, partner, friends & family members.
Who should attend the training
You do not have to be a parent, PET is open and valuable to anyone who is involved in situations, both personal and professional, where effective interpersonal communication is vital. It is most beneficial for couples to attend.
Includes workbook and textbook and a textbook and certificate. Please email / call to enquire.
Oceanside Physio, Level 4, Suite 504 Pulse Oceanside Medical, 11 Eccles Blvd, Birtinya, 4575
Dates & Bookings
Please fill out the form below to enquire on availability for our next course. Places are limited so book early. Or contact Tamra McFarlane by phoning 07 5353 0317.